Friday, March 14, 2008

This Girl's Perspective

On February 27, 2008, the Breeders’ Cup Collective announced,

    In an effort to reach a broader audience as well as make a whole lot more money, the 2008 Breeders’ Cup World Championships will card all five of its races for female horses together on the first day of the two-day event, Friday, marking the first time a major Thoroughbred event in North America has focused an entire day on female championship racing.

    The Breeders’ Cup also announced that it has renamed the Breeders Cup Distaff the Breeders’ Cup Ladies' Classic, to further demonstrate that the Breeders’ Cup Collective is comprised of a bunch of numskulls.

Response to this announcement in the horse racing community ranged from admirable and favorable to contemptible and deplorable with a smattering of references of misogyny and chauvinism. A number of my fellow TBA bloggers instigated an iPetition to express their displeasure with these changes, most notably, using the term “Ladies” in the Breeders’ Cup.

I have remained silent.

I have been reticent.

However, I shall be hesitant no more.

It’s dumb.

I am not opposed to a two-day format or adding a few more races such as the Dirt Mile, or the Polytrack 1 1/8 mile BC Route, or the Breeders’ Cup Beer Man Dash at 5 ½ furlongs, or whatever “championship” they want to make up. It’s a great opportunity to showcase more horses, more races, more wagering opportunities on a grand scale. However, I do not believe that in an effort to improve the Friday racing product that they should relegate the true championship races, Filly & Mare Turf and the Race Formerly Known As The Distaff, to Friday. How many of us can envision some of racing’s superstars, such as Ouija Board, Personal Ensign, or Azeri, running a championship race on a Friday afternoon? Ludicrous.

I also think that renaming the Distaff to the Ladies’ Classic is downright silly. My opinions are the same as all the other dissenting voices.


So I support the iPetition to Take Back the Race! However, you will not find my signature (at least at this writing) on the petition. It’s that pesky little text,

To show that we are serious about these matters, we pledge to protest by not attending, betting or watching the entire Friday card unless the Ladies' Classic name is changed and there are assurances from the Breeders' Cup to create a formal feedback mechanism from fans in ongoing marketing decisions of the Breeders' Cup.

I can’t commit to a complete boycott of the Friday card should the Breeders’ Cup Brain Trust elect to disregard the petition and proceed with their mutated format. I would enjoy watching and wagering on Country Star and Zenyatta as they face-off in the Breeders’ Cup Female Sensitiveness Classic.

Therefore, Teresa, Dana, Superfecta, et. al, go ahead and call me a wuss. But don’t call me anything stronger because I’m a girl and I’ll cry.

1 comment:

dana said...

Don't make me pull your pony-tails!

Seriously, I know it's a tall order, while we'd love your signature, I know I understand.

If it doesn't work out can I call you and you have you put the phone to up to the TV?