Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Lone Star Million Day and an Epilogue Of Sorts

My 81-year-old Dad, who actually ceased aging when he turned 52, came for a visit. He continually found projects to do around my house. “Sue, let’s get the new blinds up in the bedroom.” “Sue, let’s replace that 8 foot section of fence in your backyard.” “Sue, I can’t believe that you don’t own a saber saw. Let’s go over to Home Depot and get you one so that I can repair your front gate.” “Sue, you have a couple of hours before you have to pick up the kids from school – we have time to get in 9 holes of golf.” “Sue, it’s only 10:30! How can you possibly be tired?”

Anyway, there’s been scant time to read anything about horse racing much less actually blog. However, I did occasionally sift through my emails during the past week. And surprisingly, I received an email from the ever-delightful Gary West regarding my recent Bob Baffert trilogy. Although he apparently enjoyed the story, he insinuated that it was an effrontery to all turf writers and journalists that I would rather pursue a photo op with Bob Baffert than with him. And furthermore, his wife and kids thought that the idea, indeed, had merit and they are now considering having Bob Baffert included in this year’s family holiday portrait. Or something to that effect.

Now, I pride myself in being a friendly neighborhood horse racing blog unless the subject is Steven Crist’s snappy hairstyle, Paul Moran’s winning smile, or anything Frank Stronach. And slighting the Professor was never my intention.

So I fixed it.

I took my Dad to the track for Lone Star Million Day. The richest day in Texas racing with 6 stakes races worth, not coincidentally, over a million dollars. It generally offers great fields and some of the best racing throughout the meet. And Gary West obliged my request to stop by our table. Displaying his usual dignity, he graciously accepted my invitation to have his photograph taken with us. I could swear I heard him say under his breath, "Take that, Baffert. heh heh."


Dad, Gary West, and blogger suebroux, Lone Star Park, May 26,2008

Hmm .. By the looks of all the pictures that I have been posting lately, it seems as though I’ve compiled The Men of Lone Star Park Calendar starter-kit. I’m sure it will be wildly popular this Christmas.


Regardless, the afternoon was fun but not entirely profitable. The Professor confidently touted Brownie Points in the Ouija Board Distaff Handicap (gr. III T), and she did not disappoint, winning by 1 ¾ lengths, going 6 wide. She’s one of my favorites. So was Ouija Board. It seems only right that Brownie Points wins the Ouija Board at Lone Star. Kind of like world peace. Or when my kids have all their homework done and go to bed on time without any whining and I get the TV all to myself and To Kill a Mockingbird is on AMC.


Brownie Points racing in the Ouija Board Distaff (Photo credit: Lone Star Park)


Other notables of the afternoon, Garret Gomez once again plunged into North Texas to capture a couple of stakes races, winning the USA Stakes on board Boss Lafitte and the Lone Star Handicap (gr III) on Frank Stronach’s Giant Gizmo. Frank Stronach, however, was not there to watch Giant Gizmo’s big win, instead being in Austria, peddling Frank’s Energy Drink to unsuspecting Austrians,

Fritz: Waht ist dies? Dies ist Bier nicht!
Gerhard: Ja dies schmeckt wie Pferdpipi.

The most impressive performance was by Storm Mesa, as she won the 7 furlongs, $100,000 Cinemine Stakes by 13 ½ lengths in a very quick time of 1:21.56. It was the 3-year-old filly’s third consecutive win. It's noteworthy that Storm Mesa is trained by native Texan and local trainer, W. Bret Calhoun. I've penciled him in to be "Mr. November".

5 comments:

dana said...

sign me up for your calendar... and if your dad feels like making a trip to nyc I could use his help on a few projects!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is fast becoming a "must read." The entertainment value is in the ascendancy mode and no telling on what star it will land.

Anonymous said...

wah wah, Firefox refuses to translate Pferdpipi. I'll take it the last 4 letters says it all?

t said...

this post is full of win, sue. love the baffert pic.

Anonymous said...

ich bin nach flughafen, bitte.

If you ever come up this way, sis, can you bring your saber saw? I have some work that needs to be done.