Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Agrivating General Takes On British Poets

Last weekend, Ed McNamara on ESPN.com managed to connect the works of classic author Geoffrey Chaucer to horse racing. That reminded me of a British Literature class that I took back in high school a couple of centuries ago. Personally, I found it rather unappealing and somewhat dull, although one of my favorite memories was that of a really cute boy, Ricardo. He was the only person in the class who could read Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "How Do I Love Thee?" without bursting into a fit of giggles. However, there was one writer, Alfred Tennyson, whom I could actually stomach and for some idiotic reason, I'm able to recall a few of his quotations. And if it's good enough for the talented Eddie Mac to use some medieval British writer in an anecdote about horse racing, then it's good enough for me.

Alfie Tennyson wrote:

In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.


Aaah ... Spring. Love of a girl. Love of a track. Love of the races.

Lone Star Park's Spring Meet opens tomorrow night. I will be there, milling about with the fine rail folk, watching some fine races, and hopefully, cashing in one some fine wagers. The sun will be warm - a Texas Spring, not to be confused with a chilly, dreary Tennyson-like London Spring - and the margaritas cold. And I have hopes that one of the first horses that ever made me any money, Agrivating General, will once again find the winner's circle in the Premiere Stakes.

Spring. Love. Aaaah ...

I shall now take the time to look longingly at tomorrow night's race card. Amore ...

2 comments:

t said...

"How Do I Love Thee" deserves those giggles. Browning's saccharin sweet representation of love is strictly for the high school variety (a contradiction in terms) and fairy tales. I much prefer the original iconoclast poet, Shakespeare, with his Sonnet 130.

I adore that Shakespeare thumbs his nose at the conventional love poem. He gives his maiden something far more valuable than accolades that are impossible to live up to. He gives her humanity by showing us she is real and that true love is not merely skin deep.

My filly is incredibly small. She doesn't have those obnoxiously feisty qualities that are often revered as signs of talent. She doesn't turn heads during morning works. She may very well never win a race. She is a dear sweet girl, though--My Girl--and I love that filly just the same.

Anonymous said...

Sue--Email me back with your email address, I wanted to check in and see how your house sale is going and see whats up. Enjoyed haveing a couple of cold ones at Chili's with you after Lara's shower--so email me at work--Deanna deannag@cmspos.com--Happy Easter