Saturday, May 07, 2011

2011 Kentucky Derby Picks

It’s time to go on record and make my selections for the 137th Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands. And with the aid of a mint julep or two, these Derby picks may not look too bad by post time.

I’m a fan of both Archarcharch and Nehro. Unfortunately, with sort-of-favored Uncle Mo scratched, their odds will be lower than originally expected. And of course there is that pesky little Derby statistic regarding their post positions. So I’m in need of an intriguing and worthy longshot or two that I’ll box and/or wheel with my two Derby favorites.

Originally, my thoughts were captured by Sunland Derby winner, Twice the Appeal, with a morning line of 30-1 and Churchill Downs’ Jockey Extraordinaire, Calvin Borel in the saddle. Borel had pulled off a stunning upset a couple of years ago aboard Mine That Bird and there remains the possibility of him pulling that stunt again. Well, apparently everybody else had that same idea as I see his odds are currently at a gaudy 7-1! Ridiculous! No Appeal there ...

So I’ve settled on Animal Kingdom (current odds 23-1). Although he’s lightly raced, he’s been consistent and I like his pedigree; he’s bred to run all day. And his trainer, Graham Motion, is going gangbusters. If his odds remain nice and fat, I’ll probably toss in an across-the-board bet on him, too.

Mucho Macho Man (currently at 12-1) will also enjoy a little attention at the pari-mutuel window, and will be considered for my exotics.

Have a great Derby Day! Good luck!

8 comments:

Big Brother said...

I would pick Archarcharch if I could pronounce the name. Muncho Mucho Macho Potato Potahto reminds me of the Village People. No good. I'll stick with Twice the Appeal. I'd pick a merry-go-round horse if Calvin Borel was riding it.

applebys traveler said...

Sure hope you had Animal Kingdom and Mucho Macho Man in your exotics, you winner you.

Big Brother said...

Shows how little I know. Arch Arch Arch makes more sense than Archar Charch. Tim Allen said it all the time on Home Improvement.

Still don't get it, but watch three hours of coverage for a two-minute race.

No magic ketchup bottle?

Good pick Sis!

Edward said...

Hope you followed through on your Animal Kingdom and bet a bunch.
Love,
Dad and Jeanne

John said...

Congrats on picking AK. Of course if you were on Twitter I would have known of your handicapping acumen days ago. I am still prejudiced against Spiral winners running on real dirt for the first time. I guess I am just old fashioned, yep old fashioned and notably poorer. Getting old stinks!! Congrats again!!

Colins Ghost said...

Way to go on the pick! I am going to second John's endorsement of jumping on the Twitter train. Hope you bet a bunch!

Valerie Grash said...

I bow before you, my horse racing goddess! :-)

suebroux said...

Thanks, folks! Yes, it was a truly exceptional [and most profitable!] day! Not only on AK's win, but also in the Derby exotics.

And the Derby undercard was also a bundle of fun, especially the Churchill Downs (race 9) - I wasn't even going to bet but I couldn't believe that Aikenite was getting away at 13-1! I just had to bet on him.

And as for Twitter, John, I'm still trying to figure out how to operate my cell phone. :p